Stewart Blair Protzman

by Leslie Lytle on July 15, 2012

My dad as a teen

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

JFW January 30, 2013 at 1:54 am

I was a patient of Dr. Protzman 25 years ago. He was a great guy. Today, my wife and I were wondering “whatever became of…”, and I decided to see if there was any info about him online. He was a life saver to me

Leslie Lytle January 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm

JFW – thank you so much for your kind words. They made my day. I know that my father’s life revolved around his patients – and since we lost him unexpectedly (in 1998), it’s wonderful to hear from folks like yourself – as it triggers a smile and fond memories too. Did you get a chance to read the article that accompanied the photograph? http://bit.ly/Q7CzRP. Thank you again for your comment.

Pam Duey July 22, 2013 at 8:41 am

Dr. Protzman delivered my son at my home on June 8, 1976. It was a beautiful experience! We lived in north Dade County. He delivered my friend’s stillborn with the utmost care and sensitivity. I will never forget what a funny, interesting, eclectic person he was. I am sorry to learn of his passing. You are so Blessed with such a rich legacy.

Leslie Lytle July 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Pam,
Wow. Can’t thank you enough for leaving this message. It means so much to hear from his past patients – it’s like a gift coming out of the blue.

I think he certainly left me a legacy as I ended up working in birth work – though I obviously didn’t know it at the time of this story. I believe I remember the stillbirth you mentioned. He agonized over that birth – knowing it was coming and trying to figure out how best to handle it. It is so wonderful to hear another’s perspective of this pivotal event from across the years. You’ve given me and my sisters a gift. Thank you.

Dr. Annette D'Armata December 30, 2013 at 2:30 am

For your father, Blair. He was our doctor and our dear friend. On my first visit to his clinic, he came out with a baby owl on his shoulder. A passionate lover of music, attending every one of Lourdes’ concerts in Austin, and he encouraged me to study medicine, which I eventually did. Saved each of our lives at least once. One of his last acts the week he died was to make a house call to see Lourdes who was knocked flat with a respiratory infection. We loved him madly and still miss him. I just found the recording of Lourdes’ song in honor of him. https://soundcloud.com/lourdesperezcantautora/como-pa-jaros-for-blair

Leslie Lytle December 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Annette,

Thank you so much for this. With the holidays I have been thinking on family a lot – to find your message and Lourdes’ song was a wonderful gift – all the more so because it was unexpected. I can easily see him with the owl on his shoulder – her was very good at befriending critters. Wishing you and Lourdes all the best in the year to come and hope that our paths may cross in the not too distant future. ~ Leslie

Anne-Marie Crance April 26, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Your Grandfather delivered all 3 of my children and my parents were very good friends with him and your parents. Your uncle took my wedding photos in 1960. My maiden name was Gunn. Your father used me as practice for his photography back in the late 1950’s. I have very fond memories of your family. I don’t know exactly why I was thinking of them today and wondering if your Dad was alive.Googled your Dad’s name and this popped up. Really enjoyed the article. How is your Mom.